Wednesday, February 11, 2009

We've arrived - first day in KL

Ok ok - for those of you who are worrying, we have safely made it KL, although it was a very stressful event trying to get Paul organised for an 8.55am flight (hmmm, should have guessed it). The (Air Asia) flight was totally uneventful with the exception of the in-flight safety demonstration where the captain announced (in relation to the oxygen masks dropping from overhead) that we should “muzzle ourselves first before assisting others” - hilarious.

Customs in KL was another total non-event. Even though we marked on our arrival card that we had goods to declare (we had fruit) and tried to present our bags to three separate customs officers for inspection, they refused to check our bags and just kept waving us on. Eventually we realised we were out of customs and no one was going to check the bags because we were at the doors of the airport. Obviously I have been watching a little bit too much “Border Security” because even after we got outside I felt like at any moment a sniffer dog and customs official might grab me, demand to see my bags, confiscate my food, lecture me about the dangers of bringing food into the country and fine me (or even possibly deport me)! I was quite scared at the prospect because there were scary looking guard type people standing around with machine guns!

Having survived the actual plane ride we walked straight into our first Malaysian downpour – not very cool since we didn't bring any umbrellas and couldn't be bothered to get out our rain jackets from the bottoms of our packs. While we were waiting at KL Sentral (train station) for the rain to stop I couldn't help but notice quite a few pairs of skinny jeans walking past on girls who were definitely locals – bugger it!! Darn it Mum – I told you I needed those jeans!!!!!!!! At the last minute I left my favourite skinnies out of my pack (along with my only pair of semi decent shoes I might add) and now I am limited to wearing Crocs and cargo pants the whole trip!!!! Totally not hot!!

We have now checked into our seedy hostel room which I have studiously checked for peepholes. I'm now trying to figure out how I can eat the fruit I just bought at the night market down the road (do I need to peel it or can I just wash it in bottled water?...what if I washed it with the water that we have purified with our steripen?...what if I washed it with the water from the “water filter” machine downstairs?...speaking of water, what about cleaning my teeth?...). And so starts the grand adventure.... - N

KL being KL, is always so predictable. Yes, that's right. It started raining at 4:45pm right on the dot and went till 7pm. Walking in the rain was totally fun. Tomorrow I think is about time to purchase my first umbrella of this trip. Night market in Chinatown is interesting. A lot of people trying to sell me fake DVDs...Do I look like those people who would buy fake DVDs??? Yep, totally.

Oh yeah, thanks to my Inspector Rex talent, got back to our Hostel without even have to refer to my map. And had Naomi nagging me the whole way on how we were totally lost in the concrete jungle :)

One of the weirdest things that we experienced today was this new thing called "Fish Spa Massage". It is totally the new Go for foot treatment. Instead of going to the podiatrist, you can just put your feet in a fish tank full of small fish that will eat dead skin cells off your feet and massage it in the same time. AWESOME! Such a cool idea that I am going to introduce it back in Oz upon my return. Guys, seriously, I am looking for shareholders in my new venture. Ha! Ha!

Oh yeah, I got a Malaysian number now for those who want to give us a call and say G'day. I will facebook/email you in a bit.

Peace and out - P

No comments: