Thursday, February 12, 2009

My feet hurt!

We have now spent two days seeing the sights of KL. My favourite was the Islamic Arts Museum which we visited this afternoon. It had a pretty cool collection of all types of artworks related to Islamic religion over the world.

I can't understand the toilets here - why do they all have a hose beside them?????? It is really confusing me and I just can't work it out. I don't know what I am supposed to use if for. Hmmmm, confusing...

My legs are really hurting from all the walking that we have been doing. Being cheapskates we have refused to take any taxis and instead have been catching the train and traipsing all over town. Quite a few times we have almost lost our lives trying to cross the road here - there are hardly any pedestrian crossings and half the time the motorists don't even stop when the light is red. Yesterday we had to walk over an overpass on the side of the road with the traffic and then cross an eight lane highway to get to the National Museum - quite a feat.

On Saturday we are off to the Cameron Highlands. I am very disappointed at the moment because my plans to climb Mt Kinabalu in Borneo next month have to date been thwarted by the annoying company who owns and runs all the accommodation on the mountain - they keep telling me there are no rooms available for the nights we need. Darn!! I really want to climb the mountain!!! - N

I am utterly disgusted by the bathroom of our hostel. I discovered mushrooms in the bathroom. Charming! I had no idea what it was until I kicked the forest with my shoes. Man, what other fruit/vegetables have they been growing in where I have showers?!? Don't ask, it may be too much for both of us.

Naomi said girls' bathroom does not have mushrooms in them. But it had no flush before until last night.

Yesterday we wandered up this small alley way and had breakfast with the locals. It was a rather interesting experience, sitting in a small long table with men chain smoking around us and eating local food. We decided to branch out so we had 1 Roti each. Probably bit few for my taking to be honest. The guy reckoned that I should have 10 but I thought he was joking.

We also went to the Batu Caves near KL today. I was fully puffed walking up the whole 275 steps. The scenery would have been ok if it wasn't for all the tonnes of rubbish (literally) leftover after the recent Hindu festival up there. There was an Indian shrine there that's still worshipped. There were also chickens in the caves which must have been dinner that wasn't cooked during the festival. :) There were also heaps of monkeys there which Naomi was very scared of. She thinks the monkeys will come and bite her and give her rabies.

Tomorrow is going to be the day of serious shopping. I plan to go to 2 day markets and maybe a night market as well while Naomi spends the time in the hostel doing chores. Good on her!!!!!

Peace and out - P

Ha ha, very funny Paul! - N

No comments: