Thursday, August 27, 2009

Toilet story

WARNING! GROSS CONTENT! DO NOT CONTINUE READING IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH OR ARE CURRENTLY EATING LUNCH!
I just had to share this toilet story. But before I do, I just want it to be known that I am no priss when it comes to public toilets. Since my first post wondering what those strange hoses were beside the Malaysian toilets, I have come a long way and I like to think that I can squat with the best of them. Over the last six months I have made use of many wild and wonderful public loos. In Cambodia I went to one out the back of a makeshift restaurant in front of a temple where I had to chase three monkeys out before I could go. In Taiwan I went to one in the bush somewhere where there was a stray dog in the stall eating the used toilet paper. I've laughed at English tourists who've taken one look at a squat loo in a 7/11 in Thailand and scarpered saying they "didn't know how to use it" (come on, it even had toilet paper!). I've been to loos that you flush with a bucket, loos you flush by turning a handle, and loos that don't flush at all. I've been to loos where the stench was so wretched that you could smell them out from 100 metres away. I've even been to loos where the stalls have no doors. All the time, my motto has been "It's better than nothing!" (it's my worst fear to be caught busting without a public loo in sight).
It happened like this. We were at the train station (why do these stories always have something to do with the train) waiting for our train (due to our extreme stinginess it didn't take long until we were back on a standing hard seat ticket despite our hideous first experience). I thought I should probably go to the loo before getting on the train because I probably wouldn't be able to budge once we got on.

I went around the corner to the public loo in the train station. There were heaps of women in there lining up for the loo. It was really dark in there and the stench was terrible. Still, when you've gotta go....

I could see that some of the stall doors were open. "Why isn't anyone using those loos?" I wondered. I looked closer. Then I realised that there were people using them, they just weren't bothering to shut the doors! They didn't seem to mind that the 6 deep crowd outside could see them doing their business. There were people literally 1 metre away looking right at them.

The girl using the loo right in front of me finished doing her business and stood up to zip up her pants. This is where the really weird thing happened. The lady who was next in line for that loo didn't even wait for her to finish her to get out of the stall! She went to stand behind her in the loo stall while the first lady's feet were still on the footpads and she was still zipping up her fly! Talk about pushy!

When the first lady was elbowed out of the stall the line moved closer. I peered through the gloom between the legs of the second lady who was now squatting on the toilet. What was that in the toilet bowl? Eeeeeeeeeew! I could see that the whole bowl was filled with Number 2s! It was nearly coming over the top of the bowl onto the foot pads. Obviously everyone was in two much of a hurry to bother with the flush!

This was just too much for me. After all, I guessed I wasn't THAT busting. Maybe the train wouldn't be that full this time.

I went back to my place in the line waiting for the train.

No comments: