Friday, July 31, 2009

Random musings about Taiwan

As a Westerner in Taiwan I feel like a mini celebrity most days. I don't know why it is but there are barely any tourists here, which makes me an oddity. Most days (particularly outside Taipei), we'll go the whole day without seeing another Westerner. If you do see one, it's such an odd sight that even I've started pointing at them and shouting "Waiguoren! Waiguoren!" ("Foreigner! Foreigner!").


I really love Paul's neighbour who we call ayi (Aunty), although she is no actual relation. Apparently my name literally means "cat food" in Taiwanese. Ayi said last time we were here all here other neighbours thought she must have gotten a cat because she kept calling "cat food, cat food" all the time! Ayi is famous for her pineapple cakes which she makes from scratch. I was hoping to steal her secret recipe while I was in Taiwan.


The other day I got my chance. Paul and Charles went on a day trip to Kenting. Since I was still tired from Yushan I decided to stay home. I asked Paul's mum whether she thought ayi would be making pineapple cakes that day. An hour later I was over in ayi's kitchen helping her make 40 of the cakes which she told me were all going to be for me! It was awesome. Unfortunately I think that some of the ingredients aren't available in Australia. Also, half way through the session I realised I was reading the measurements off the Taiwanese measurement scale instead of the metric one....hmmmmmmm....perhaps I wasn't as successful in stealing the recipe as I thought.

Oh yeah, we experienced our first earthquake the other day. It only lasted for a few seconds but it was enough to make me rush over to Paul shouting "An earthquake, shield me, shield me!". According to him, it was just a strong wind. I mantain it was an earthquake (the rest of Paul's family back me up).

No comments: